Georgie Jessup, a Baltimore area songwriter, is influenced by everything from old school country to Memphis R&B, placing her music firmly in the “cosmic” Americana Music genre. Her lyrics reflect her outspoken advocacy for animal rights, Native American issues, transgender rights and environmental sanity.
She has an extraordinary ability to encourage audiences to look deeply into their prejudices and other transgressions. Consequently, audiences tend to respond emotionally, if not always lovingly. Georgie has developed a successful career by challenging musical styles, personal identifications, and storybook history lessons. She has released six CD’s: American Holocaust, Sweet Grass Smoke, Winkte & Crazy Sacred Dogs, Woman in A Man’s Suit, Working Class Hero, and Philosopher Dogs.
“Georgie sings from the heart, like a rare flower in a wilderness. She speaks to us about the deepest issues. Issues that all of us should care about, but so many of us pretend don’t affect us.” blues diva Candye Kane.
She has six, well received, CDs available.
Georgie is the subject of an award winning documentary film,
“Woman in A Man’s Suit.”
Awards and other Recognition:
* 1996 play “The Berdache” whose main character Ammiel McLellen is inspired by Georgie Jessup – according to play’s author Cheryl Ann Costa
* Austria’s own Big City Indian, (for their 2003 release Native Heart UrbanSoul), recorded her song, Red Cloud’s Room, (from Red Cloud’s Room).
* Five WAMA Nominations for singer songwriter, vocal performance, and album (Washington Area Music Association)
* American Holocaust Nominated for the 2004 Indian Summer Music Awards (ISMA-Milwaukee, WI)
* Featured performer at the Susquehanna Music & Arts Festival 2003-2007
* 2005 Fresh Fruit Awards for live show and nominated for songwriting
* 2005 & 2006 Silver Arrow Award
* 2009 Pride In the Arts Award for Transgender Musician of the Year
* “Woman In A Man’s Suit” film winner of the Festival Favorite Roanoke International Film Festival (Pride In The Arts) Award 2010 (Documentary film about Georgie
* Music Festivals: DC Pride, Baltimore Pride, Delaware Pride, Philadelphia Pride, Indian Summer Music Awards, Leonard Peltier rallies, DE/MD/VA/PA powwows, Aboriginal Festival – Vancouver (Canada)
*Film & Documentaries: “On The Block” (film by Steve Yeager), “American Holocaust” (ProJectS production), “Almost Myself” (film by Tom Murry, music by Georgie Jessup), “Woman In A Man’s Suit” (Silent Code Features/ProJectS/Chip Taylor Communications)
* Radio play: KNBA 90.3 FM Anchorage, Alaska, WMPG 90.0/104.1 FM Portland, Maine, CFWP 98.3 FM Mohawk, wryr.org 97.5 FM, SIRIUS RADIO: SIRIUS OutQ Hot 20, OutVoice http://www.outvoice.net/, www.rock95.com (Canada’s 6th largest Rock station), European radio markets